Saturday, December 11, 2010

The Rescue Ship

Last night I decided to put in an MTT grinding session and played about 10 in total. After a few results in recently weeks I was firmly brought to down earth and reminded of the harsh reality of MTT variance. I couldn't even buy a vowel last night and busted all before the money leaving me firmly on "choppy waters" and sinking me to about -$400 on the night. I finally make it back to shore and just feel like hitting the hay.

The Rescue Ship



Whilst I was on shore, licking my wounds and seeing 10 ships sail away I get a call (via skype) from a mate of mine whom I'm currently coaching. Although I just wanted to get my head down he said we should play a couple of $12 Rush tourneys on Tilt so I agree and away we go. The usual of me playing my hands and talking him through his, being on hand whenever hes in a tough spot. Rush is an ideal way for people to quickly pick up the raw skills needed for poker as your always seeing hands asap and being put in tough spots much more than a standard MTT.

So I quickly bust one tourney and some how find myself with a 20k stack after one hour in the other. This particular event had 233 runners and we always agree that if we play a Rush MTT together then we'll ship 20% if either finish top 2, so that was my aim to get his bankroll moving in the right direction.

My mate quickly busted both and I found myself ITM as chip leader. I made the final table 3rd in chips and take a hit straight away when I'm in the BB with 22. The button limps and sb makes up. (blinds 600/1200, I have about 80k). I make it 6800 to try and take the pot here however the button and sb call. With that said the flop comes a nice 355 and sb checks. The button has 15k and I lead out for 13k, button shoves, sb folds I call. Button shows KQ lol for K high. Q on the turn and he takes down a nice pot :( sucks.

Anyway I grind my way back up and win a big pot taking out 2 people with QQ. When it's 3 handed I'm chip leader and with 4x the chips as 2nd just pretty much take advantage of the fact that they're both tightening for 2nd place lol.

So finally despite unable to board 10 ships earlier, from nowhere I get an emergency phone call and after 2 hours of waiting the emergency ship comes sailing in :D

After I shipped my mate his 20% I find myself with a small profit on the night which I'm happy with as it could have been a lot worse :D :D

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice references ! The 22 rush tournament are also so soft and fun.